Gevgelija is a city with a population of 15,685 in the southeastern Republic of Macedonia on the banks of the Vardar River on the main border of the country with Greece (Bogorodica-Evzoni), the connecting point from Skopje. Three ancient Yugoslavian capitals with Thessaloniki (Belgrade, Zagreb and Ljubljana).
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries Gevgelija was part of the Ottoman Empire Thessaloniki.
Between 1929 and 1941, Gevgelija was part of the Vardar Banovina of the Yugoslav Kingdom.
According to the 2002 census, 15,685 people resided in the town of Gevgelija, most of them ethnic Macedonians.
The Macedonian town is called Gevgelija (Гевгелија). Gevgeli in Turkish, Gevgelí in Greek (Γευγελή), Gevgeli in Bulgarian (Гевгели) and еevđelija in Serbian (Ђеνђелија). Gevgelija is called “Macedon Las Vegas” because of the number of casinos especially in and around the city. From a tourist point of view, it is in development.
Situated between the Kožuf and Pajak mountains, only 70 kilometers from Thessaloniki and 165 kilometers from Skopje, the town serves as a railway depot between the two countries and forms a central location in the region. The southern position of the country has become the most suitable place for growing fruits and vegetables such as fig, lemon and grape in the Republic of Macedonia due to its warm Mediterranean climate (Csa classification). The town is also a center for raising silkworms, an integral part of the country’s silk trade. The Gevgelija economy consists of agriculture as well as a light industrial sector. A spa resort located in a nearby village is growing.
Gevgelija had a number of casinos in and around the city during the days we passed.